Edinburgh BioQuarter is working with consultant partners, Savills and CAM-SCI, in regards to property and commercial developments. For more information on property, viewings and development opportunities please contact our agents.
The place where great ideas thrive
Why invest in Edinburgh BioQuarter?
Partners are seeking private sector investment to ensure BioQuarter’s core knowledge and clinical base is complemented by a growing number of innovative companies. By working together, these enterprises will create new medical and biomedical products and services, delivering significant health, social and economic benefits for Scotland. This overall objective will be delivered through:
- Development of specialist commercial infrastructure and service offering able to attract and grow a dynamic life sciences cluster
- Creation of a commercially viable and investible development whereby the cluster becomes self sustaining
- Development of a value proposition and brand able to compete with world-leading life sciences offerings
An opportunity for at least £300m of investment in property over the next five years.
There are a numerous opportunities to invest across Edinburgh BioQuarter. Partners have developed a robust financial model, a mini-masterplan which primarily focuses on the serviced development land adjacent to the existing Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Royal Hospital for Children and Young People. Planned development over the next five years includes clinical, academic and commercial space as well as a new city mortuary. Ancillary development is also required to include multi-story car parking, hotels, leisure and retail as well as a District Energy Network to complement the growing life sciences quarter.
investment through the
Invest in Our Companies
Scotland’s top life sciences companies at BioQuarter
We view the 25+ companies who choose to call BioQuarter home as very special and we want to support them to grow and succeed. We are proud that these multi award-winning life sciences companies and entrepreneurs have chosen to come here. We welcome and support investment into our tenant companies, and with two recent acquisitions in excess of £200m+ there are many opportunities amongst our growing cluster.
- Roslin Cells based at BioQuarter has created over 80 new jobs and given rise to two further spin-off companies (Roslin CT and CENSO)
- IoMET was a new start-up based at BioQuarter and was acquired by Merck for >£100s millions in 2016
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals has invested over £6m to establish the Centre for Dementia Prevention at BioQuarter, with a commitment to recruit 100s of patients for dementia research
new life science
companies raising £10m in
funding in the last
A first-rate hotel development opportunity at Edinburgh BioQuarter, a leading health and science campus in Scotland’s capital city
BioQuarter offers a fantastic opportunity for an internationally-branded hotel of circa 120 bedrooms. Occupying a prominent southern corner plot, the hotel will meet the strong level of existing demand for hotel accommodation and business facilities.
BioQuarter is seeking expressions of interest to acquire and develop the hotel on a freehold or long leasehold basis. Please contact us for more information.
Commercial property development
A unique opportunity for private sector investment at a world-leading health and science destination.
There are a number of potential new projects across BioQuarter. In total these are valued at approximately £300m – £400m. These projects represent a mix of University, public and commercial use space.
Please get in touch to find out more.
Property and Commercial Agents
Our Property Agents
Savills is a global real estate services provider listed on the London Stock Exchange, Savills employs associates throughout the world and boasts an international network of more than 600 offices.
Commercialisation and Clinical Trials
Company Creation and Industrial Collaboration
Edinburgh Innovations is the innovation management service for the University of Edinburgh. We work with partners to explore opportunities, build ideas and deliver results for industry and the University of Edinburgh. We do this by promoting the research, technology and facilities at the University and use our expertise to manage and develop industry partnerships.
- The College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (CMVM) currently has active collaborations with over half of the world’s top 20 pharmaceutical companies
- Research revenue from industry over the past five years has been >£30m
- 14 new companies have been created over the last five years from CMVM raising >£10m in venture funding
Edinburgh Clinical Trials Unit
Edinburgh Clinical Trials Unit
The Edinburgh Clinical Trials Unit (ECTU) provides an infrastructure to design, plan and deliver clinical research studies. ECTU was founded in 2006 to encompass the infrastructure for running multi-centre clinical trials already in Edinburgh and to build on that capacity.
- Full registration within the UKCRC Clinical Trials Unit registration framework
- ECTU has an established track record in delivering high-quality clinical trials, working under a quality framework in accordance with ICH GCP
- Supporting trials: clinical support, trial management, data management, trial planning, governance
- Methodology: statistics and health economics
- Research Data Linkage Service with NHS Lothian’s Analytical Services and eHealth provides access to patient datasets
Latest Case Studies
Specialists in bioinformatics data analysis, Fios Genomics works with global pharmaceutical companies, contract research organisations and academic institutions from its BioQuarter base.
Centre for Cardiovascular Science
The Centre for Cardiovascular Science (CVS) is engaged in world-leading research into cardiovascular diseases. Co-located with the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and the University of Edinburgh’s Medical School, the CVS relies on collaboration to both drive discoveries and deliver new solutions.
Beginning life as a University of Edinburgh start-up, Aquila BioMedical’s expertise in immunology, immuno-oncology and specialist histology supports a range of clients to discover their best route to clinic.