Edinburgh BioQuarter is working with consultant partners, Savills and CAM-SCI, in regards to property and commercial developments. For more information on property, viewings and development opportunities please contact our agents.
Edinburgh's Health Innovation District
Edinburgh BioQuarter is undergoing a transformation. Our vision is to rapidly grow the site into a vibrant mixed use neighbourhood of Edinburgh, centred around a world-leading community of healthcare innovators. By developing at scale and at pace together with a private sector partner we will accelerate solutions to global health challenges. BioQuarter will support a community of more than 20,000 as part of Edinburgh’s Health Innovation District.
Watch our film
Where people live, learn, work, play, relax and discover
BioQuarter Strategy Board intends to seek a joint venture partner to be part of an ambitious vision to create a new vibrant mixed-use neighbourhood in Edinburgh. With a Gross Development Value estimated at over £750m, there is an opportunity to develop in phases the remaining 67 acres of underdeveloped land (estimated at circa 4m sq ft. of development). Interested parties will be invited to take part in a OJEU Competitive Dialogue procurement process, which will include, but is not limited to, the following services:
- Commercialisation and knowledge exchange management
- Development management
- Hard and soft facilities management
investment through the
Invest in Our Companies
Scotland’s top life sciences companies at BioQuarter
We view the 25+ companies who choose to call BioQuarter home as very special and we want to support them to grow and succeed. We are proud that these multi award-winning life sciences companies and entrepreneurs have chosen to come here. We welcome and support investment into our tenant companies, and with two recent acquisitions in excess of £200m+ there are many opportunities amongst our growing cluster.
- Roslin Cells based at BioQuarter has created over 80 new jobs and given rise to two further spin-off companies (Roslin CT and CENSO)
- IoMET was a new start-up based at BioQuarter and was acquired by Merck for >£100s millions in 2016
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals has invested over £6m to establish the Centre for Dementia Prevention at BioQuarter, with a commitment to recruit 100s of patients for dementia research
new life science
companies raising £10m in
funding in the last
Behind Edinburgh BioQuarter is a partnership of four of Scotland’s most prominent public organisations – City of Edinburgh Council, NHS Lothian, Scottish Enterprise & the University of Edinburgh. This strategic partnership is brought together through a Collaboration Agreement signed
in 2017, and overseen by the BioQuarter Strategy Board. By bringing their respective skills, expertise, specialisms, brands, resources and innovation pipelines together they form a formidable partnership.
An Inspiring Capital City
A great place to invest
A highly skilled workforce, competitive cost base and hard to beat quality of life make Edinburgh an attractive destination for investors. Located just three miles south of Edinburgh’s historic city centre with its excellent transport networks, BioQuarter is close to an international airport, walking and cycle routes, local bus routes and national train services.
Property and Commercial Agents
Our Property Agents
Savills is a global real estate services provider listed on the London Stock Exchange, Savills employs associates throughout the world and boasts an international network of more than 600 offices.
Commercialisation and Clinical Trials
Company Creation and Industrial Collaboration
Edinburgh Innovations is the innovation management service for the University of Edinburgh. We work with partners to explore opportunities, build ideas and deliver results for industry and the University of Edinburgh. We do this by promoting the research, technology and facilities at the University and use our expertise to manage and develop industry partnerships.
- The College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (CMVM) currently has active collaborations with over half of the world’s top 20 pharmaceutical companies
- Research revenue from industry over the past five years has been >£30m
- 14 new companies have been created over the last five years from CMVM raising >£10m in venture funding
Edinburgh Clinical Trials Unit
Edinburgh Clinical Trials Unit
The Edinburgh Clinical Trials Unit (ECTU) provides an infrastructure to design, plan and deliver clinical research studies. ECTU was founded in 2006 to encompass the infrastructure for running multi-centre clinical trials already in Edinburgh and to build on that capacity.
- Full registration within the UKCRC Clinical Trials Unit registration framework
- ECTU has an established track record in delivering high-quality clinical trials, working under a quality framework in accordance with ICH GCP
- Supporting trials: clinical support, trial management, data management, trial planning, governance
- Methodology: statistics and health economics
- Research Data Linkage Service with NHS Lothian’s Analytical Services and eHealth provides access to patient datasets
Latest Case Studies
Specialists in bioinformatics data analysis, Fios Genomics works with global pharmaceutical companies, contract research organisations and academic institutions from its BioQuarter base.
Centre for Cardiovascular Science
The Centre for Cardiovascular Science (CVS) is engaged in world-leading research into cardiovascular diseases. Co-located with the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and the University of Edinburgh’s Medical School, the CVS relies on collaboration to both drive discoveries and deliver new solutions.
Beginning life as a University of Edinburgh start-up, Aquila BioMedical’s expertise in immunology, immuno-oncology and specialist histology supports a range of clients to discover their best route to clinic.